OCL’s Governing Board is looking to recruit new community members to join our engaged board.
Since 1985, OCL has been offering adults with developmental disabilities encouragement, opportunities, and experiences through programs where they can grow, learn, and thrive in a person centric environment. OCL serves more than 200 individuals through a broad spectrum of programs including residential and day support. Striving to improve the quality of life for all individuals and families in a collaborative fashion.
Board membership is a wonderful opportunity to serve the community and make a difference in the lives of hundreds of families. Qualified candidates will have an opportunity to talk with the organization and board leadership, attend a tour, and participate in a Board meeting. For more detailed information about the opportunity and the organization please see the job description below.
Candidates are asked to complete the application form below, and submit a 1-2 page resumé. Resumés can be uploaded directly to our website. We will begin reviewing applications by June 30, 2023, however we will continue to accept applications until all positions are filled.
Ottawa-Carleton Lifeskills (OCL) Board Opportunity
Ottawa-Carleton Lifeskills is seeking to enhance its Board of Directors as part of an on-going process of Board improvement.
We are specifically searching for applicants with combined skills and experience in business, industry, corporate governance, financial stewardship, strategic planning, communications, partnership development or stakeholder relations.
Applications will be reviewed starting June 30, 2023; however, we will continue to accept applications until all positions are filled and the expected start date is September 2023.
Promote self-development, self-determination and community inclusion of individuals with developmental disabilities and seniors in need of community supports through personalized services and supports.
- Growth and more individualized supports
- Connected to families and community partners
- Organizational stability, today and in the future
- Clear organizational identity and community support
- OCL is a leading edge, learning organization and employer of choice
- Strong sustainable culture built on leadership at all levels.
Board membership is a wonderful opportunity to serve the community and make a difference in the lives of hundreds of families. Qualified candidates will have an opportunity to talk with OCL’s organization and board leadership, attend a tour, and participate in a Board meeting.
- Strong financial stewardship – stewarding the financial health of the organization by ensuring that strong financial management skills and appropriate accountability skills are in place
- Governance and policy development – ensuring the existence and maintenance of sound governance framework, including all the policies and practices, procedures that define the decision-making process and delineate the roles and responsibilities of the Board and the Executive Director.
- Each Director is responsible to act honestly, in good faith and in the best interests of OCL and in doing so, to support the organization in fulfilling its mission and discharging its accountabilities.
- A Director’s fiduciary duty includes a requirement that he or she avoid situations where the interests of the director are in conflict with the interests of OCL.
- OCL shall be responsible to provide board members appropriate Directors and Liability Insurance and Errors and Omissions Insurance.
- The Director is not solely accountable to any special group or interest and shall act and make decisions that are in the best interest of the organization, as a whole
- A Director shall be knowledgeable of the stakeholders to whom the organization is accountable and shall appropriately consider the interests of such stakeholders when making decisions as a director, but shall not prefer the interests of any one group if to do so would not be in the best interests of the organization.
Teamwork and participation
- A Director is expected to properly prepare for meetings, participate actively in Board discussions and generally participate constructively
- A Director must feel comfortable expressing a dissenting opinion or vote
- Despite differences in opinion, directors are expected to act in solidarity with the Board once a final decision has been made.
Community Representation and Support
- A Director shall participate in a Board orientation session, orientation to committees, Board retreats and Board education sessions at the expense of OCL
- Attend additional appropriate education sessions in accordance with Board approved policies if needed at the expense of OCL
- Ability to take governance or other board training
- Travel may be required, and if required shall be entitled to a per kilometer reimbursement
Applicants are asked to complete the application form on this page and upload a 1 – 2 page resumé in the link on this page.
A completed application comprises the following items:
- Completed application form
In addition to the above, experience and knowledge of the developmental services sector will be considered an asset.
Directors should be passionate about growing OCL and willing to invest their time and talent into ensuring the sustainability and growth of the organization. The ideal Director demonstrates excellent leadership skills, resourcefulness and the ability to think broadly and act collaboratively.
Must not be an employee of OCL or partner agency
Submit Your Application
"*" indicates required fields